14 April 2010

ein Besucher!!

i have been envious of all my european friends that can easily get visitors, so when Nick mentioned coming across the pond, i was super excited. never really had an exact date and time, but i told him the name of my town, gave my class schedule and included directions from the train station to my place just in case. that crazy nut didn't write down my telephone number, couldn't get in touch with me and i got a call from my roommate around 10pm when i was out at a bar saying, "your friend is in our kitchen." oh well, that's how we roll and everyone over here is completely flabbergasted that it actually works.

after the Faschingsumzug in Tü with the Narrenzünfte, i thought it would be something interesting and with a local twist. we walked to a neighboring town with another Ami, Andrew, via a trail that i had done with some StudIT friends earlier.

[Wurmlinger Kapelle mit Schnee]

it was awesome as a first experience in Deutschland, i think, and especially for photos. in Rottenberg, we met up with Oli and had a mini excursion like our crew from back in the States. the train ride home was a bunch of photo talk. Nick was stoked about coming to me and Oli's class later and getting to see the facilities.

[Fotografs sind in ein fotografisches Gespräch vertieft]

it was so nice to muck around with another photographer again. i took him through Tübingen and cooked Schupfnudeln. we walked to another neighboring town, Bebenhausen, and photographed the cloister. the Prinz Karl dorm threw a Karneval party that was totally insane. a visit to Heidelberg ended by staying with Stephen from the plane to Ireland. for one week, i can't think of a better time! even Greg benefited from having so much english in our apartment. =)

[Schnee in Heidelberg]

the highlight though, was probably all the conversations. Nick and i had plenty of time to talk, on account of the close quarters, and we already have a good dialog, but he has also seen me evolve as an artist and understands better where my ideas are coming from. it was nice to constructively talk about ideas. oh dear, made me homesick for the rest of my friends. still, means a lot to have a visitor and, like i said, i love to share. so really, it was the kicker of my first six months. thanks again, Nick!

No comments: