21 February 2012

February

First happening this month: my portable hard drive shows signs that it might crash soon. Panic. I unplugged the thing and hid it away until I could afford to buy something to (hopefully) transfer the files.

One thing I definitely appreciate about learning traditional black and white before getting into digital is that you are exposed to utter devastation very early. Spending the hour or so it takes to load reels, mix chemicals and slosh around everything in a tank, not to mention whatever hard work was done in the prep for the photo shoot or the meticulous care in using an analog camera, only to find that your entire roll is blank, thin, bulletproof, shows a light leak... What do you do after? Pick up your camera and shoot some more.

I've started an album with random photos around Denver. There are definitely lots of quirky little things around a city and especially out into the urban sprawl.

So, the wait for a new storage device is unknown.  I had just dropped $400 on a new lens.  Really, though.  I can be patient and salvage the bits leftover on my CF cards, using itty bitty thumb drives.  My new baby is the big boy on the far left.

Yup, 100mm macro!  Now I photograph pointless things and everybody will think it looks cool.



No, really, it will also be acting as my portrait lens.  I was paid for a photo shoot with a roll of white seamless backdrop paper and now I've unpacked and arranged my new little apartment enough to hang that 9' sucker.  Now I just have to convince my friends that I won't make them look fat and get some more portraits up on this blog!

No comments: